Atlantic Humanitarian Relief, Inc. (AHR) is a Boston-based and Jordan registered non-profit 501(c)(3) (also non-religious, non-political) organization that began with the determination, dedication and passion of one doctor who could not remain silent at a standstill while so many Syrian refugees were suffering. With the coequal support and commitment from family and friends, Dr. Humam Akbik alongside Beth Tammaro founded Atlantic Humanitarian Relief in 2012 when the AHR board members embarked on their first medical/humanitarian mission trip to aid refugees in Jordan. Since then, AHR has organized biannual, week-long mission trips to Jordan to service refugees in various parts of the country. In more recent years, the organization has seen an influx in Yemeni, Iraqi, Palestinian and Sudanese refugees; with a growing team of volunteers from every profession from physical therapists to surgeons, dentists to pharmacists and more, AHR unites people from all over the world to work in makeshift clinics, community centers and refugee camps treating thousands of patients each trip. Providing medical and humanitarian aid can only continue with your generous support.
Humam Akbik, MD, FIPP, Chairman & Mission Director
– Humam Akbik is a nationally-ranked and Harvard-trained anesthesiologist and pain management specialist. Dr. Akbik is an independent practitioner and president of Cincinnati Comprehensive Pain Center. He formerly served as Medical Director, Department of Pain Management at Mercy Health Hospitals. He is dedicated to his practice, is a member of many renowned pain management organizations and has received several prestigious honors in his field, including the Excellence in Pain Practice Award from the World Institute of Pain designation as a Top Pain Management Physician in Cincinnati by Cincinnati Magazine, and is rated a Top Pain Management Specialist by U.S. News. Since 2011, Dr. Akbik has led numerous medical and humanitarian missions to Jordan to aid displaced Syrians. He serves as AHR International Mission Director.
Beth Tammaro, RN Vice-Chair
– Beth Tammaro is a Registered Nurse at the VA Boston Healthcare System with a specialization in Spinal Cord Injury rehabilitative nursing since 1985. Beth has been involved in medical missions to support displaced Syrians since 2012 and is actively involved in community and international volunteerism involving persons with disabilities.
Nadeem M. Khan, D.D.S.
Beesan Yaish, Secretary
– Beesan Yaish is a Psychology graduate from Eastern Michigan University. She currently working with English Language Learners in the Detroit Public Schools Community District and is pursuing a Master’s in Health Administration.
Nadeem M. Khan, D.D.S.
– Studied Mechanical Engineering – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 1987-1991
– Doctor of Dental Surgery – University of Detroit Mercy 1991-1995
– General Practice Residency Medical College of Ohio – 1996
– Private practice 1996-present.
– Currently managing 4 clinics
– Toledo Dental Society Board of Directors 2016-present
– Co-Coordinator Dental Clinic and Executive Board Member of Halim Clinic – providing basic dental services free-of-charge to patients who cannot afford treatment. 2019-Present
– Secretary of United Muslim Association of Toledo
Mouhammad Jumaa, MD
– Interventional Neurologist, UTMC.
Aiman Rifai, MD
– Aiman Rifai was born in England and raised in New Jersey and is an Orthopedic Surgeon with specialization in adult hip and knee replacements. He’s an associate professor of orthopedics at Seton Hall University and Director Total Hip and revision surgery St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center. Dr. Rifai also trains residents in orthopedic surgery and is soon to become co-director of residency program at St Joseph’s. He is also Medical Director of North Jersey Hip and Knee Center. He has many journal and book chapter publications and academy poster presentations and has been a member of NAAMA since 1990. Dr. Rifai has been on several medical missions in the past to Jordan and is founder of Damascus Hope a 501(c) 3 with goal of assisting poor Syrians.
Samir Tammous, RPh
Legal Advisor to the Board
Khaled Bashjawash, JD
– Khaled Bashjawash is an attorney based in New Jersey with a focus on civil litigation. Besides practicing law, he spends his time assisting non-profit organizations. He was a director of a private school and a trustee for another non-profit that assists refugees. Khaled’ interest in Syria comes from living there during 2009-2010.
Over the years, AHR has developed strong bonds with other organizations striving to accomplish the same goals. We appreciate the ongoing and utter support of our partners and sponsors because our missions would not be as successful without them